In Stonycreek the Flowers Blow—Honoring Those Lost on 9-11

Image via Flikr Creative CommonsJ. Todd Poling
Image via Flikr Creative CommonsJ. Todd Poling

Today is always a hard day for me, as I’m sure it is for many others who suffered far worse. Every year, I have nightmares, can’t sleep and spend most of every September 11th crying if I stop long enough to think. At first, I wasn’t going to blog, but then I thought back to one of my favorite poems, In Flander’s Fields. Canadian physician and Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae wrote the poem after presiding over the funeral of a friend lost in WWI in The Second Battle of Ypres.

I loved the poem so much, I committed it to memory. I was eight years old.

This morning, I couldn’t get the verses out of my head, thus please forgive me. I took some creative liberty with the original poem in hopes of honoring those lost on 9-11. I’m no poet, but maybe this can be a little bit of beauty to help us always remember those so senselessly taken.

In Stonycreek, the flowers blow

as airplanes taxi row on row.

They mark our place; and in the sky

The birds, still singing, bravely fly

Scarce heard amidst the tears below.

We are the Dead; twelve years ago

We loved, and laughed and didn’t know

Evil could rain from up above

And tear us from the ones we loved.

Two towers lost; the Pentagon.

A burning field.

Remember us; let children grow

To honor those who fought the foe.

The light be yours to keep it bright

Remember those who chose to fight

If you forget, we shall not rest

Though flowers blow…

In Stonycreek.

47 thoughts on “In Stonycreek the Flowers Blow—Honoring Those Lost on 9-11”

1. darcyflynndarcyflynn

I feel the same way. I’ve cried on and off all morning. Thanks for posting the poem.

2. jhozvickajhozvicka

In times like we feel the pain of what happen that day. But we all need to release that pain. Keep the memories of your lost one, but release the pain and continue your journey in life.

3. Melissa LewickiMelissa Lewicki

Thank you.

4. Jessi GageJessi Gage

Reblogged this on Jessi Gage…A Time to Love and commented:
    A heartfelt thank you to Kristen Lamb for a thoughtful reworking of a beautiful poem in remembrance of those lost 12 years ago.

5. jtailelejtailele

That is beautiful. I also struggle to keep my composure today. I don’t think I will ever really recover, but I try to tell myself that my fears give the terrorists victory so I must learn move beyond that. Twelve years and I am still struggling with it. God Bless America.

6. LucyPireelLucyPireel

Great post Kristen, thanks for posting it and your poem is very emotive.
    I have the honour to host Alan Jankowski and his poem for the heroes of 9/11 on my blog today and I must say I’ve let a tear, more than one even, today too.

7. patty hawthornepatty hawthorne

Beautiful. Thank you.

8. AndreaAndrea

VERY NICE
    GREETING(s(from ANDREA
    BEAUTIFUL DAY

9. helenrjhelenrj

This was day like no other…the memories surge to the surface with just the mention of 9/11.. God bless America!

10. Kali AnthonyKali Anthony

Beautiful.

11. Stella MyersStella Myers

Kristen, this is beautiful. Thank for wonderful words.

12. cynthiagrstaceycynthiagrstacey

Reblogged this on Cynthia Stacey and commented:
    Great poem by Kristen Lamb to remember our american friends who lost their lives on 9/11.

13. Tima Maria LacobaTima Maria Lacoba

Lovely, Kristen. We Aussies shared your horror. Our Prime Minister was visiting with the President on 9/11, and if one of those plane’s had succeeded in crashing into the Pentagon, we would have lost two world leaders that day. Thank God it never happened.

September 11, 2013
  14. Jess Molly (aka jmolly)Jess Molly (aka jmolly)

Thanks for appreciating John McCrae, one of our great Canadians. My heart goes out to you on the anniversary of 9/11. I don’t think any of us will ever forget where we were at 9:06AM. Even here in Ontario, we had friends and family working in Manhattan who were almost at Ground Zero. Very scary time. And it’s changed the world forever. Let’s all do our part to make the future brighter.

15. Shea FordShea Ford

Thank you Kristen. 🙂 Lovely tribute for those who should not have died.

16. donna l martindonna l martin

Only one word is necessary…BEAUTIFUL!!

Donna L Martin

17. Kathryn Chastain TreatKathryn Chastain Treat

Kristen – this is beautiful. What a lovely poem and thank you for sharing and tweaking it a little. I think we will all remember what we were doing at the exact moment we heard the news. It is burned into our memories and into our hearts forever.

September 12, 2013
  18. Ron JeffersonRon Jefferson

Thank you! To me these two little words have extraordinary meaning in this instance.

September 12, 2013
  19. Nin AshmoreNin Ashmore

Thank you for this post and for remembering!

September 12, 2013
  20. jodenton445jodenton445

Lovely. We will never forget. God bless.

September 12, 2013
  21. ayearfromnowchampagneayearfromnowchampagne

This is nice. I was in 6th grade at the time. Sometimes the fact that I didn’t understand what was going on at the time makes me feel so disconnected today.

September 15, 2013
  22. Raani YorkRaani York

This is a very special blog post Kristen – thanks for sharing it!

September 17, 2013
  23. mrs p kingsmrs p kings

lovely words

September 25, 2013
  1. In Stonycreek the Flowers Blow—Honoring Those Lost on 9-11 | Writing Under Fire
  2. In Stonycreek the Flowers Blow—Honoring Those Lost on 9-11 | Writing Under Fire
  3. In Stonycreek the Flowers Blow—Honoring Those Lost on 9-11 | I am an Author, I Must Auth
  4. The End is Near (and we deserve it) . . . End of Life Care Machine « Bayard & Holmes