Instructor: Cait Reynolds
Price: $75 USD Standard
Use Holiday20 for $20 off!
Where: On Compatible Devices
When: ANY TIME YOU WANT
Science Fiction and Epic Fantasy are the double agents of the literary world. They simultaneously provide exotic escapism while at the same time serving as a ruthless mirror of contemporary society.
Whether it’s magic or technology, these genres bend rules and toy with the impossible.
However, it is also perilously easy to fall into the trap of bending every rule to make it easy for yourself, your plot, and your characters. When the fantastic becomes too fantastical, your world begins to lose its magic, and readers begin to distance themselves from the emotional impact of the actual story.
This class will cover a wide range of topics, including:
- Etymology: If you are going to make up names for people, places, food, customs, magic/technology, etc., you need to understand the fundamental rules of creating language.
- What’s normal and carries over from our world/time and doesn’t need description vs what is different and should be described
- How much magic or science do you have to know in order to build your world effectively?
- How to keep it real: tips and tricks for keeping your characters relatable to readers, even if they have tentacles/magical powers/chip implants.
- Spotting tired tropes and DOING BETTER. Make your fiction unique. No retreads! “Oh no, not another young, timid girl who becomes magical/laser-wielding social warrior!”
In a world of a gazillion forgettable fantasies and sci-fi stories, let Cait help you take your WORLD & STORY to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL. When world building is done right? Fans will be BEGGING to do fan fiction with the worlds you create.
A recording of this class is also included with purchase.
You get the class (recording included in price) with Cait plus one hour of personalized one-on-one consulting regarding YOUR story.
You get the class (recording included in price) with Cait plus two hours of personalized one-on-one consulting regarding YOUR story and bonus worksheets. These worksheets will efficiently guide you through in-depth world-building and research, providing you with consistency for your writing and an excellent reference/style sheet for your editor and proofreader.
About the Instructor:
Cait Reynolds is a USA Today Bestselling Author and lives in Long Beach, California with her very patient husband, a cranky old rescue mutt named Horseradish, and two insane Basenji puppies.
She likes history, astronomy, Jack Daniels, jewelry, pasta, and solitude. Not all at the same time. She has worked hard to develop a good relationship with the NSA agents in the van outside her house. They now understand that her Google searches and Amazon wish list are purely for research purposes.
Cait is also the co-host of the ‘divinely funny’ podcast, Drunk Mythology Gals, which severely limits which of her book characters she will be hanging with in the afterlife.